Jason Welborn: I can take perfect opportunity
Jason Welborn believes the perfect opportunity has come his way as he bids to get his hands on gold this weekend.
The fighter, who lives in Tividale, returns to the ring on Saturday for the first time since his world title loss to Jarrett Hurd in Los Angeles on December 1.
Despite having had more than six months out of the ring, Welborn is pleased he has bided his time – and hopes his patience will pay off when he battles JJ Metcalf for the vacant Commonwealth title at the First Direct Arena in Leeds.
“Camp has gone well,” said Welborn, who will compete at super welterweight again. “I have carried on from where we left off following the Jarrett Hurd fight out in LA before Christmas.
“I’ve been worked away in the gym and waiting for the right opportunity to come my way.
“In JJ Metcalf, for the Commonwealth title, live on BT Sport; I think I’ve got that chance this weekend.”
Welborn, who was raised in Rowley Regis, earned his shot at the WBA, IBF and IBO world super welterweight titles thanks to a pair of classic victories over Tommy Langford last year.
Although he became world champion Hurd’s 23rd victim, stopped in the fourth round, it was a step on to the big stage in America for a man who has fought most of his bouts at the Town Hall in Walsall.
And after his plum spot on the undercard of the Deontay Wilder-Tyson Fury draw, he wants to see off Metcalf and one day return to LA.
“I know he (Metcalf) is 19-0, but that means nothing to me,” said Welborn. “I don’t think he’s ever been tested the way I will test him on Saturday night.
“It’s a great show to be a part of and I’m grateful to Frank Warren for having me on.
“When I win this belt, I’m sure he will have other plans for me.
“This is a lifestyle for me. I’m fit and ready. I had a taste of the big time out in LA and I’m hungry for more.”