700 homes to be built in Wolverhampton and South Staffordshire
More than 700 homes are set to be built through two schemes in Wolverhampton and South Staffordshire.
Wolverhampton Council is set to approve more than 500 new rent homes, that are due to be built across the city by 2024, while 220 homes are set to be built in Perton.
Around 90 per cent of the Wolverhampton homes will be given to existing council tenants that are currently on the housing transfer list, with the remaining 10 per cent reserved for those on the emergency housing list.
The plan, which is part of a local lettings plan (LLP), has been recommended for approval when the council's cabinet make a decision at a meeting on July 10.
Councillor Peter Bilson, deputy leader and cabinet member for city assets and housing, said: “This plan will allocate a proportion of new council homes to existing council tenants already living in these areas, helping to ensure stable communities are established in the long term.
“Tenants transferring to new homes will make available other properties for applicants on the housing register – therefore two applicants benefit from the development of each new-build council property.
“The city-wide LLP will help the council make best use of the limited supply of social and affordable housing becoming vacant each year by providing a simple, transparent priority system based on clear criteria.”
Meanwhile, housing provider Housing Plus Group has purchased a 22.24 acre site next to Wrottesley Golf Club, which will see 220 houses built in Perton.
It will see a combination of sale, shared ownership and rented homes.
The company's chief executive, Sarah Boden, said: “We are very excited to share news about this flagship development during Rural Housing Week.
“We look forward to creating fabulous new homes in this popular village and to supporting economic regeneration in the area.
"Work on the i54 expansion got underway last month and is expected to bring more than 1,700 additional jobs in South Staffordshire.
"This represents a huge investment in the economic wellbeing of our region but will create even more demand for housing in surrounding communities.
“We are working closely with the Parish and District Councils to start work on these new homes and local amenities, such as allotments, as soon as possible.”