Jason Welborn handed shock world title shot
Jason Welborn has set sights on becoming the Rocky of Rowley Regis after landing a shock world title shot.
The 32-year-old will take on unified light-middleweight champion Jarrett Hurd in Los Angeles on December 1, with the latter's IBF and WBO belts on the line.
It represents a huge step up in class for Welborn, who has vacated his British middleweight title in order to take a fight he describes as the chance of a lifetime.
He told the Express & Star: "This really is a dream come true. You never think you are going to box for a world title but sometimes things are written in the stars.
"I am going into this with my eyes wide open. I know I am a big underdog but I am used to proving people wrong.
"I am going to give this everything. I am going there to win. This is going to be a real Rocky story."
Welborn, a veteran of 30 fights, has enjoyed a stunning resurgence since a defeat to journeyman William Warburton in May 2016 appeared to have left his career in tatters.
He beat Tommy Langford in April to claim the British belt, before successfully defending his crown in September's rematch.
American Hurd, unbeaten in 22 fights and regarded as one of the brightest talents in the sport, will be by far his toughest opponent.
The fight, which takes place at the Staples Center on the undercard of Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder's world heavyweight title clash, represents the 28-year-old's return to the ring following shoulder surgery.
Welborn, who has never previously fought outside England, said: "My last fight with Tommy Langford was streamed in the USA and I have been told they like my style.
"No doubt they may be looking past this fight but I am not going over just to make up the numbers.
"Since I have gone full-time, I have become a much better boxer.
"I could have stayed British champion. There were some very good fights that could have been made.
"But when I was offered the chance, it was a no-brainer. It is the right decision for me, my family and the future."