Restaurant accidentally serves £4,500 bottle of wine to customer
Hawksmoor Manchester said it hoped the diner ‘enjoyed your evening’ and reassured the staff member involved: ‘We love you anyway.’
A UK restaurant has admitted to accidentally serving a £4,500 bottle of red wine to a diner.
Hawksmoor Manchester said on Twitter it hoped the customer “enjoyed your evening” after they were given the 2001 bottle of Chateau le Pin Pomerol.
A spokeswoman for the restaurant said the customer ordered a £260 bottle of the Chateau Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande 2001.
She said: “It was a very busy night at the restaurant and a very simple mistake. A member of staff picked up the wrong bottle, mistaking it for another Bordeaux of the same vintage.
“The wine went out and was served to the customer. The customer didn’t know and it was only afterwards that one of the managers picked up what had happened.”
The restaurant advised the member of staff who made the error to keep their “chin up”, adding that “one-off mistakes happen” and “we love you anyway”.
The restaurant’s message sparked a flurry of amused responses on Twitter, while others praised Hawksmoor for its gentle response to the staff member involved.
Tasting notes for Chateau le Pin Pomerol on wineinvestment.com read: “A tremendous effort, this 500-case cuvee (one of Bordeaux’s original garage operations) is even better in 2001 than it was in 2000.
“Its deep ruby/plum/purple colour is accompanied by an extraordinary perfume of creme de cassis, cherry liqueur, plums, licorice, caramel and sweet toast.”
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.