Investigation as hoax bomb threat sees Wolverhampton homes evacuated
A bomb scare that led to homes being evacuated in Wolverhampton is being treated as a hoax by police.
Homes were evacuated and a cul-de-sac blocked off amid a bomb threat in Wolverhampton.
Bomb disposal experts were called out to search an empty house in Wheatsheaf Road, Pendeford, after a council worker found a "suspicious device".
Police closed off part of the cul-de-sac at around 6.30pm on Wednesday with a 50m (164ft) exclusion zone set up.
This was further extended upon the arrival of the bomb squad.
People living in the street were temporarily moved to the nearby Dovecote Housing Office on Ryefield.
At around 11.15pm, a controlled explosion was carried out close to the property.
People in the street reported hearing a loud thud.
Those living nearby were allowed back home at around midnight.
Today West Midlands Police said the device was not viable and did not contain any explosives.
The house remained sealed off today as investigations continue.
A police spokesman said: "Wheatsheaf Road in Wolverhampton was evacuated last night after a suspicious device was found in an empty property by a council worker.
"EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) attended the address and determined the device was not viable, and did not contain any explosives.
"Residents who had been temporarily relocated to the Dovecote Housing Office on Ryefield were allowed back to their homes just after midnight.
"The incident is now being treated as a hoax and the property remained sealed off this morning as investigations continue."
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.