Advertising

Couple devastated as sixth cat in five years 'poisoned by antifreeze'

By Marion Brennan | Burntwood | News | Published:

A devastated couple have spoken about losing their sixth cat in five years through suspected antifreeze poisoning.

Cat owners Peter Jenkins, holding Button, and wife Tami with Lady

The RSPCA has launched an investigation and is urging pet owners in the Burntwood area to watch out for their own animals

In the latest incident, the couple’s one-year-old male cat, called Button, returned to the family home in North Street, Burntwood, lethargic and struggling to walk and despite being rushed to the vet’s, he died a few hours later.

Owner Peter Jenkins, aged 54, said it was the sixth time a cat belonging to him and his wife Tami, 43, had died in this way.

Button was the latest cat to die

His first pet cat affected by suspected antifreeze poisoning was Tommy, who died in November 2014 aged nine, followed by Fudge, aged 14, the following month.

Alfie, 11, died in August 2015, Ava in July 2016 and her twin sister Maxi a few weeks later, both aged 11 months.

Devastated

Mr Jenkins said: “We are just devastated that this keeps happening. We love having cats and find it so worrying that this has happened time and time again.

Advertising

“We have lived here for 15 years and had no issues until five years ago. Sometimes it makes you wonder if someone in the area has got something against cats in general.

“It is so upsetting when your pet comes to you in obvious pain but there is nothing that can be done to save them. I just want to warn other cat owners in the area to be aware of this and keep an eye on their own pets.

"Also I want people in the area to check that they haven’t left any antifreeze around which cats would be able to get to. We don’t want anyone else going through what we have."

RSPCA Inspector Kate Levesley said: “As there have been suspected antifreeze poisonings in the area we would urge all cat-owners to keep a close eye on their pets and their behaviour and if they suspect they have been poisoned we would advise they seek immediate veterinary attention."

Signs of poisoning include vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk or uncoordinated, seizures and difficulty breathing.

Anyone who has any information that could help with their investigation is asked to call 0300 123 8018.

Marion Brennan

By Marion Brennan
@Marion_EStar

News and features reporter, specialising in human interest and local history stories.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News