Woman taken to hospital after fire sparked above Black Country pub
A woman was taken to hospital after a fire broke out in the home above a Black Country pub.
Crews from Haden Cross Fire rushed to the Spring Meadow pub,Halesowen Road, Old Hill, just before 7pm yesterday.
The blaze started in the front bedroom upstairs with customers rushing up to tackle it with fire extinguishers as it spread.
Dramatic footage posted to social media by firefighters on the scene shows the extent of the damage left behind – with walls charred and multiple rooms of the living quarter devastated by the fire.
Three people were treated on the scene for smoke inhalation and a woman was sent to Russells Hall Hospital but was later released – with crews also working to rescue a cat from the fire.
In their online post Haden Cross Fire also urged members of the public to close doors in a bid to limit the damage and spread of fire.
Haden Cross Fire watch commander Justin Bayliss, 39, whose colleague crew commander Andrew Pincher was on the scene responding, said: "It was last night around 7pm just before the football kicked off.
"Three people were treated on scene for smoke inhalation. A couple of people in the bar went up with fire extinguishers.
"One lady went to hospital but was released and a cat was rescued. Crews were there around two and a half hours.
"The downstairs has remained relatively intact with just a bit of water damage. I think it has been put down as accidental.
"We went back just to check on the pub itself. The incident has been closed."