Advertising

Millionaire who left girlfriend to die fails in prison sentence appeal

By Richard Guttridge | South Staffordshire | Crime | Published:

Justice has prevailed after a millionaire businessman who left his girlfriend to die at the bottom of the stairs failed in his bid to have his prison sentence cut, campaigners and politicians have declared.

Undated handout photo issued by Staffordshire Police of multi-millionaire businessman John Broadhurst accused of murdering his girlfriend during "rough sex" has admitted manslaughter by gross negligence. roadhurst was cleared of murdering Natalie Connolly and causing her grievous bodily harm on the directions of the judge following legal submissions part-way through his trial at Birmingham Crown Court. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Tuesday December 11, 2018. The 40-year-old admitted manslaughter by leaving Miss Connolly unsupervised and failing to contact the emergency services in circumstances where "a risk of death as a result of her condition would have been obvious". Prosecutors had alleged that Broadhurst "totally lost it" during a drink and drug-fuelled sex session, leaving Miss Connolly to die at the foot of a staircase with more than 40 injuries. See PA story COURTS Broadhurst. Photo credit should read: Staffordshire Police/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

John Broadhurst's decision to fight his 44-month sentence for the manslaughter of Natalie Connolly sparked outrage, particularly as the original sentence was criticised as being too short.

Labour's Harriet Harman was one of the most prominent critics of the sentence. She re-tweeted condemnation of the appeal on her Twitter account after it was revealed by the Express & Star this week.

The appeal was dismissed by senior judges on Thursday. Broadhurst left Ms Connolly bleeding to death at their Kinver home after a drink-and-drugs-fuelled "rough sex session" in December 2016 and described her as "dead as a donut" to emergency services.

The 26-year-old mother-of-one had sustained more than 40 injuries and a post-mortem showed she died from acute alcohol intoxication and blunt force injuries.

Natalie Connolly

Broadhurst, 41, was cleared of murder but admitted manslaughter. Part of the basis of his appeal was that he too drunk to help Ms Connolly but this was dismissed by Court of Appeal judges.

Her death sparked a push for the law to be changed around women who are killed during violence the accused claimed they consented to - dubbed the 'Fifty Shades' defence. Broadhurst was accused of beating Ms Connolly with his fists and causing a series of other injuries during the masochistic session.

Advertising

Fiona Makenzie, from a campaign group set up following Ms Connolly's death, We Can't Consent to This, said she was incredibly relieved by the judges' decision.

She said: "This already appallingly-short sentence caused outrage last year, and this campaign was set up in response.

"It's telling that this man - who caused Natalie dreadful injury - believed himself still too harshly punished, but we are incredibly relieved that he has not succeeded today."

The group is backing a bid by former Labour deputy leader Ms Harman and Wyre Forest Parliamentary candidate Mark Garnier to amend the Domestic Abuse Bill, to stop the "Fifty Shades" defence and also prevent murder charges from being downgraded to manslaughter, unless approved by the Director for Public Prosecutions.

Mr Garnier said it would have been a "slap in the face" for Ms Connolly and her family if Broadhurst had been successful. It could have seen him eligible for release within months, as he has already served a year behind bars.

He said: "Justice prevails. It would have been incredibly depressing if he had won, so I'm delighted he stays in jail."

Richard Guttridge

By Richard Guttridge
Investigations Editor - @RichG_star

Investigations Editor for the Express & Star.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News