Advertising

Police step up murder probe over street fight stabbing

By Marion Brennan | Darlaston | Crime | Published:

Police are sifting through CCTV footage and examining the mobile phones of suspects arrested over the murder of a man from Wolverhampton, an inquest heard.

Shane Mayer

Detective Sergeant Andy McDonald said a number of people had been bailed over the fatal stabbing of 21-year-old Shane Mayer.

No-one has been charged but he said police were continuing to liaise with the Crown Prosecution Service.

Mr Mayer, from Wolverhampton, died on July 22, three days after being attacked outside Gabba’s Bar, in Forge Lane, Darlaston, during a fight between two groups of people.

Gabba's Bar, formerly Herberts Park Tavern

The inquest heard he managed to run a short distance before collapsing.

The victim was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, where he died.

Cause of death was given as a stab wound to the groin.

A forensic officer investigating at the scene of the stab attack in Darlaston. Picture: John Kennett

The inquest, at Oldbury, was adjourned to allow police time to make further inquiries.

A further hearing is expected to take place in two months’ time. A date is yet to be fixed.

Marion Brennan

By Marion Brennan
@Marion_EStar

News and features reporter, specialising in human interest and local history stories.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

Advertising

UK & International News