Advertising

Keelan Wilson: Charges could be brought over teenager's murder in Wolverhampton

By Jordan Reynolds | Wolverhampton | Crime | Published:

Charges could be brought against suspects arrested over the murder of Keelan Wilson in Wolverhampton after evidence was passed to the Crown Prosecution Service.

Murder victim Keelan Wilson pictured with his mother Kelly

Police have submitted an 84-page summary of the 15-year-old stabbing victim's case for prosecutors to examine, a pre-inquest hearing heard.

Keelan was stabbed to death just yards from his home in Merry Hill, Wolverhampton, after being attacked while he was pushing a broken-down car in Strathfield Walk at around 11pm on May 29, 2018.

Police were called to reports of a group of youths fighting in Langley Road and Keelan was taken to hospital with serious injuries, but was confirmed dead a short time later.

A post-mortem confirmed he died from stab wounds.

300 documents, 100 actions

Over the last 12 months nine teenagers have been arrested but no charges have been made over the teenager’s murder.

However Detective Inspector Nick Barnes told the hearing today: "On March 23 a further suspect was identified.

"On April 8 a person was arrested, then two further people were arrested the next day.

Advertising

Keelan, left, was stabbed on Strathfield Walk

"On April 24 a telecomms review meeting was held.

"On May 1 a full forensics review meeting took place relating to the latest suspects.

"More than 300 documents have been generated and over 100 actions have been completed.

Advertising

"On June 17 a case summary was sent to the CPS which was 84 pages long.

"I'm going to discuss it with them this afternoon."

More on this story:

Coroner Zafar Siddique adjourned the inquest until October 7.

He said: "I'm pleased to hear that you have put something forward to the CPS.

"I appreciate it's not ideal, it has been a year now since Keelan sadly lost his life.

"I hope you have a sense that things are starting to move now."

'Nothing is bringing him back'

Keelan's mother, Kelly Ellitts, said the news was "light at the end of the tunnel".

Last month Kelly marked the fact it was one year since Keelan's death by releasing balloons with friends and family.

Keelan's mother and father look at floral tributes one year after his death

She said: "I'm happy it's going to the CPS and I hope something positive comes out of it and they're all charged for what they've done.

"It's not very nice knowing they're walking around.

"It's his birthday coming up and he's not here and they're out celebrating their birthdays and he isn't.

"I feel like the investigation has gone slowly but I understand why.

"There's some light at the end of the tunnel now.

"I know they've been working over the last year.

"Nothing is bringing him back, it doesn't make any difference."

Jordan Reynolds

By Jordan Reynolds
Reporter - @jreynolds_star

Senior reporter at the Express & Star.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News