Man admits stabbing father to death in Cradley Heath

By Dayna Farrington | Cradley Heath | Crime | Published:

A man has admitted killing a father of three and attacking three others in the Black Country.

Martin Briggs, inset, and the scene of his murder

Martin Briggs, aged 47, was found with multiple stab wounds at his home in Corngreaves Walk, in Cradley Heath, on November 12, 2017.

Karl Glancey, 44, pleaded guilty to his manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility when he appeared via video-link at Birmingham Crown Court today. He had pleaded not guilty to murder.

Glancey, formerly of Dingle Avenue, in Cradley Heath, was arrested on suspicion of Mr Briggs’ murder on the day his body was discovered.

But he was detained under the Mental Health Act and detectives from West Midlands Police had to wait several months before questioning him.

He was eventually charged in June this year.

Police at Mr Briggs' home in Corngreaves Walk

Today he also pleaded guilty to two counts of causing grievous bodily harm and one count of wounding in connection with domestic incidents in Dingle Avenue, Cradley Heath, and Poplar Close and West Avenue in Tividale.

All of the attacks happened within hours of each other on November 12 last year.


Prosecutor, Ms Kate Bex QC, said after careful consideration the amended indictment was acceptable to the prosecution.

Defending, Mr Phil Bradley QC, said: “Drugs and alcohol did not feature but if it were not for his medical condition, these events would not have occurred.”

Judge Simon Drew QC adjourned the hearing for sentencing, when psychiatrists are also expected to address the court.

Mr Briggs had three children and two grandchildren and lived alone with his dog in the quiet cul-de-sac off Corngreaves Road.


Forensic officers search for evidence

He was previously described as the ‘nicest person you could ever meet’ by friend Stuart Archer, and more than £700 was raised by friends and family for his funeral.

Another friend, 23-year-old Kieron Ratcliffe, said: “He was always laughing and joking.

“He had a very dry sense of humour.

“He loved going out to play bingo and just didn’t have a bad bone in his body.

“He was a true friend and even though we aren’t a big circle, we were like family.”

An inquest into Mr Briggs’ death was opened and adjourned in February.

Judge Drew said: “I am going to adjourn this case for a sentence hearing on Thursday, November 22.”

Glancey has been remanded in the Tamarind Centre in Birmingham until sentencing.

Dayna Farrington

By Dayna Farrington
Senior reporter based at Wolverhampton

Reporter for the Express & Star based at Wolverhampton.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News