Megan Bills murder trial: Accused 'told officer he was scared' after finding dead teen

By Annabal Bagdi | Brierley Hill | Crime | Published:

A murder suspect claimed he stuffed a teenager’s body into his wardrobe after becoming ‘scared’, a court heard.

Megan Bills

Ashley Foster told his probation officer he was unsure how Megan Bills had ended up dead in his Brierley Hill room a week after her body was discovered.

Giving evidence at Wolverhampton Crown Court, Cuchie Timmins said Foster made the claims after he had been remanded in custody at HMP Birmingham.

She said: “He said that he was scared because he had only just recently been released from prison. He was agitated, he was upset.”

Foster, 24, denies murdering Megan in his room at the Highgate Road hostel for former inmates in April – just three days after being freed from jail. Jurors have been told the teenager’s body was found in Foster’s wardrobe, sealed with cling-film, on May 4.

Yesterday Ms Timmins said Foster demanded to speak with her during a visit to the prison a week later. The probation officer recalled the defendant describing how he had met Megan at the hostel, with the pair later going to his room.

She added: “He was upset at the time. He said ‘would you get me out of the cell, I need to speak to you’. He was crying. He said he had been stitched up.

“He said he thought she had taken something. My understanding was that she had taken some illegal substance.


“He said that they were lying on his bed in his room. He had a spliff and they were watching the television. He said that he fell asleep and when he awoke, he said she was dead. He said that she looked peaceful.”

It was an accident

Foster said he did not know how Megan had died and he had decided to put her body into his wardrobe, Ms Timmins recalled.

He told his probation officer he fled the room. During the trial, the court heard Foster was captured on CCTV taking the teenager into his room on April 16.


He left to stay with his sister some time later but Megan was never seen alive again because she had been murdered by him, alleged prosecutor Mr Crispin Aylett QC.

Jurors were also told a letter allegedly written by the defendant to his sister Carley was seized by police.

It read: “I’m sorry but I can’t take what I have done. It was an accident, but that don’t matter. It’s the fact that I did it.”

The trial continues.

Annabal Bagdi

By Annabal Bagdi

Senior reporter based at head office in Wolverhampton.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News